If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever. Winnie the Pooh

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

24 Thanks

If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, “thank you,” that would suffice. ~Meister Eckhart

November is a time when we pause to give thanks for things big and little in our lives. I'm thankful for these things and so much more....

1. The sweet way Madeline whispers when she gets shy. If you listen carefully you'll hear her whisper "knock knock". She wants to tell you a joke.

2. A mama's boy. Right now Max thinks I'm the only girl in the world. I like it that way.

3. My quirky Claire. Never a girly-girl; she has a trunk full of dress up gowns and a beautiful doll house that sit untouched. Instead she prefers to pretend she's tiger and will growl at little boys who try to chase her at the playground.

4. My princess. Madeline will ask me to put 10 different clips and bows in her hair while wearing a frilly tu-tu. She'll sit regally in the front of the shopping cart at the grocery store, waiting for people to admire her 'pretties'.

5. Max's eyes. When he was a baby they looked like they had a mind of their own. Big, brown eyes that made people laugh because he always looked surprised. He's grown into those eyes...boy are they beautiful.

6. Chris' work ethic. He works hard. He has long hours. All to provide for his family. I can't thank him enough.

7. Running. The transformation that takes place in my heart and mind once my feet hit the road is indescribable.

8. Claire's Mona Lisa smile. It's precious.

9. Twins. They have made me a better mother. Watching their relationship is a joy. The bond is more than just siblings and I'm thankful they were given each other. The balance is perfectly beautiful.

10. Having a singleton first. HE was right to give me my Claire first. My firecracker who was more challenging than twins. She prepared me for what was to come.

11. Austin, Texas. Our family belongs here.

12. God. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. - 1 John 4:16

13. My parents. They give 150% of their love and time when they are visiting. When they are here, I can admit: I need family. My children are blessed to have them for a Nana and Papa.

14. Memories. My three brothers and sister are thousands of miles apart. We don't get to see each other often but I have so many memories of the joyful times we spent together growing up.

15. A supportive husband. He encourages me to be a better runner, spouse, mother, woman.

16. Music. It's part of the fuel that helps me run short distances fast and energy for hours and hours of long runs.

17. Teachers. My kids have learned from my Dad how to spot Jupiter. I thought it was a bright star. We are all gifted with knowledge and it's wonderful to see it shared.

18. My jogging stroller. It allows me to share my joy of running with Madeline and Max.

19. The Austin Zoo. It's a fun, special place for me to take my kids.

20. Date nights. Because eventually our kids will be grown and it'll be just the two of us. I hope when that day comes we won't have to learn to reconnect because we have been nurturing our relationship all along the way.

21. Family movie nights. Eating pizza in the living room while watching a 'kid movie' equals greasy faces, smiles, peace and harmony.

22. Coffee. Some days it's a luxury. Other days it's a necessity to survive until two unnamed monsters' nap time. Eternally grateful.

23. Forgiveness. I have made and will continue to make mistakes. Some small, some so big I wonder if I can ever be forgiven. Those who love me seem to have an endless supply of forgiveness. For that I'm thankful.

24. Being a mom and a wife. At 23 I decided having kids wasn't for me. Falling in love with the right person and 3 kids later, I'm thankful God's plans are always perfect. I'd be lost without the gift of Motherhood and the companionship of my best friend, my husband.

Kay Harmon Photography


2 comments: