If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever. Winnie the Pooh

Monday, August 22, 2011

The Climb

You turned to me and whispered, "Mommy, I don't want to go".

My faith was shaking
But I, I gotta keep trying
Gotta keep my head held high

Oh Claire, your faith was shaking. But you were so strong. I leaned over while holding your hand, I looked into your eyes and I whispered back, "You are so brave. You are going to have a great day. Your teacher is so lucky to have you".

And I, I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on

Strength is what you showed me. I knew in your heart you wanted to turn around and run to me. You wanted to come home and stay with what you know, what is comfortable and familiar. Instead, you gave me one last nervous smile and reached out to your teacher as she led you away from me. My heart broke just a little bit. So proud. So happy. And I instantly missed you, even though you were only a few feet away.

'Cause there's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Sometimes when I'm running, I don't feel the hard part until about mile 10. Before that, I feel like I'm coasting. But once I hit my 'mountain', it's during that time I have to reach deep down inside and remember who I am.

The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down
But no, I'm not breaking

From birth to now, just like my first few miles, you have been coasting with me right along your side. Today you started Kindergarten. Claire, you've hit your mountain. From here on out, school will bring you lots of ups and downs. My prayer is: you remember who you are. You continue marching to the beat of your own drum. And that no matter what, no matter how tough things get, you always face your battles with a good heart.

Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb...

Sweet Claire, I'm proudly watching you as you start your Climb.

Barbara LeGere Photography
Lyrics: The Climb

No comments:

Post a Comment